Try your hand at amping up a picnic classic with some spice! This quick recipe for Japanese-style spicy tuna salad incorporates the rich flavors of Kewpie Mayonnaise and sweet and spicy Sriracha hot sauce to deliver a punchy and satisfying snack. Bring some to your next party or throw some together when you need a satisfying, protein-packed bite to eat. Feel free to swap in other veggies like onions and carrots that also add a satisfying crunch. You can also experiment by adding a teaspoon of white miso or miso sauce to the sauce mixture instead of adding salt at the end of the recipe for an extra blast of savory flavor.
Serve over rice, on top of a fresh green salad, in between fluffy shokupan bread layers, or use as the filling for an onigiri rice ball. Check out this recipe blog for a simple onigiri recipe that will get your creativity (and appetite!) flowing. You could also use crispy nori sheets or your favorite Japanese chips to scoop up the salad. You’ll be amazed at how quickly this recipe comes together!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons Kewpie Mayonnaise from Bokksu Market
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar from Bokksu Market
- 1 tablespoonPrecut All Purpose Nori from Bokksu Market
- 1 fresh scallion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice from Bokksu Market, if desired
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- Drain the canned tuna.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix Kewpie Mayonnaise, Sriracha, and rice vinegar.
- Clean and finely chop one stalk of celery and one fresh scallion.
- Combine celery and scallion in sauce mixture.
- Add tuna and stir to combine.
- Plate over white rice if desired and top with more Sriracha sauce, pre-cut shredded nori, and a pinch of flaky sea salt.
By Hadley Sui