Miso Marinated Tuna Spaghetti
Cozy up on a chilly evening with this swoon-worthy blend of tuna simmered in miso, thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms, and the deeply satisfying flavor of Hon Tsuyu soup broth. You’ll want to keep this recipe handy for weeknight meals. It’s a perfect shared dish for a date night in or a warming meal while watching your current favorite tv series with your roommates.
Feel free to add a protein to the recipe, such as shrimp or tofu. You can also try swapping in soba noodles or Tiger rice noodles for the spaghetti for slightly different textures. You’ll be going back for seconds, so luckily this recipe has ample portions!
For added flavor, I recommend topping this dish with Kuze Fuku Enoki Mushrooms with Seven Japanese Spices spread, one of my latest discoveries from Bokksu Market. I’ve been using it on everything lately, and I love incorporating multiple mushroom varieties into the same dish! The spread’s complex flavors work so well to tie together the other various elements of this warming pasta.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 large plates of pasta
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (or roughly 1 cup mushrooms of your choice)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon precut nori from Bokksu Market
- Black pepper, to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat and add ½ teaspoon salt. Once boiling, cook spaghetti noodles uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Clean and thinly slice the shiitake mushrooms.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add an additional tablespoon of oil, the mushrooms, and tuna and continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add sake, butter, and Hon Tsuyu soup base to the skillet and mix to combine. Then, add the spaghetti noodles.
- Cook noodles for 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Plate spaghetti and garnish with precut nori pieces and enoki mushroom spread.
- Season liberally with cracked black pepper, if desired.
By Hadley Sui